Affiliation: the President of the European Nuclear Society and a Board member of the UK Nuclear Institute
Alastair is the President of the European Nuclear Society and a Board member of the UK Nuclear Institute. He graduated in Nuclear Physics from the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow and spent the first 15 years of his career working on operational NPPs – mainly UK Advanced Gas Cooled Reactor sites. He then spent 15 years in project and programme management working for Sellafield, Magnox and the UK Nuclear Decommissioning Authority. At NDA he managed the national decommissioning programme office (PMO) and provided support to IAEA/NEA on decommissioning guidance and project risk and uncertainty.
Presentation Title: Can Nuclear Power Solve Climate Change?
Business Cases have both a time dimension and a content dimension. The time dimension is specific to maturity – from early strategic thinking (Strategic Case); to technology maturity (down-selection and preference); to the final Case for Financial Investment as the precursor to project delivery. Each time we re-visit the Business Case we seek to answer different questions – against the context of investment and benefit.
- The Strategic Case – WHY are we doing this and what be different – the outcomes
- The Economic Case – VALUE of delivering the program in a particular way against alternative options
- The Financial Case – AFFORDABILITY to do it
- The Management Case – HOW we can set up national resources up to deliver the right international outcomes
- The Commercial Case – The case for international market integration, communities of experts and collaboration across scientific boundaries